30 March 2009

Chapter 40: Earth Hour


"Earth Hour is a global event organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and is held on the last Saturday of March annually, asking households and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and other electrical appliances for one hour to raise awareness towards the need to take action on climate change. Earth hour was conceived by WWF and the Sydney Morning Herald in 2007, when 2.2 million residents of Sydney participated by turning off all non-essential lights."

Written in Wikipedia



WWF sincerely has the heart to remind all the world about turning off all non-essential lights. It is indeed a good event. God indeed wants us to take care of the earth nicely.

Genesis 1:26
"Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." "

However, I believe not all people participate this event. We were having a youth cell from 7:30PM to 9:30PM on last Saturday. We did not switch off the light and PA system. Indeed, I felt a bit moved by the Earth Hour, when many youths came to me and ask, "Jack, why can't we participate this Earth Hour?"

I have no answer for that. In my mind, I was thinking about their spiritual growth. Frankly speaking, I did not know how to answer them.
I remained silent. I knew that they felt disappointed and discouraged.

God, at least there is one thing I feel encouraged. Some people still care for the earth. However, Some people might say that those, who just participate for fun, are hypocrites.

Listen. Even though they participate for fun, at least they had saved that one hour energy to do good to the earth. In fact, they are better than those who say, "Don't be hypocrite." and didn't participate it at all. I prefer them to keep quiet and say nothing about it, since they didn't participate either.

God, You created this wonderful world, yet we human destroyed this creation and disobeyed Your word.

Please forgive us
for we do not know what we are doing.

Related topic >>>Chapter 13: Creativity

No comments: